Introduction to Corset Making
This 3-day corset making course is ideal for those wishing to explore the world of corsetry and are confident with using a sewing machine. Corsets can seem daunting to make but students can expect to learn this craft in a relaxed environment and lots of support.
The corset design we will use in this course is a classic over-the-bust corset available in UK sizes 8-18, so students can choose which size is suitable for them.
During this course, students will receive demonstrations on the different techniques involved in making a corset, and will sample these as practice pieces.
Insight will be given into:
- Mechanics of a corset
- Choosing fabric for a corset
- Choosing from the different type of boning, fastenings & hardware
This corset will be produced in a tightly woven cotton fabric called ‘coutil’ which has the stability to withstand the boning and tension from fastening. Metal eyelet fastening will be using for this corset.
Progressing on from the basics, you can expect to learn the full production process of making the corset which will include elements such as:
- Creating a cotton mock-up (toile) of the corset
- Adjusting, amending for desired & perfect fitting
- Relaying these changes to the pattern pieces
- Preparing the fabric, creating lay plans
- Following a production process to create a corset from start to finish
- Creating channels for boning & inserting the boning
- adding a bound edge on the corset
This course will increase student’s confidence, skills level and independence to try more corset designs in various shapes and fabrics.
Materials for this corset workshop are included within the price of the course. This includes:
- 2m Calico (for sampling) ( additional calico available to purchase @ £3.00p/m
- Boning & metal hardware
- Coutil fabric (will be available in 3 colour variations (white, black & pink))
|Duration: 3 days|
|Time: 10am - 4pm|
|No. of places: 5|
|Date: 2019 dates coming soon|
|Location: Castle Rd area, Bedford, Bedfordshire|