Learn to design & make a Cowl, Scarf or Shawl
Course 2 Start date:
Thursday 2nd May 2019
7 – 9pm
Each course is 4 consecutive weeks
Christ Church, 140 Dudley St, Bedford MK40 3SX
This course aims to introduce students to the world of crochet and is suited for those who are complete beginners or who have little experience. Places on the course are limited to 8 to ensure you have plenty of opportunity to interact with the tutor and progress at a pace that suits you. The course will help you get to grips with the basics, the infamous Granny Stitch, cover colour changing and basic pattern and chart reading.
Working with the tutor, you will design and stitch your own cowl, scarf or shawl. Over the 4 weeks you will build your knowledge, skills and confidence and leave with a handmade, unique and personally designed accessory for yourself or to gift to a loved one. The techniques taught throughout the course are easily transferable to any future crochet projects you may have in mind.
Students may enroll onto this course as many times as they like, progressing onto more complex projects each time.
All practice materials & equipment for this workshop are included in the price. Students will be required to purchase their own yarn for the wearable item - details will be given during the course.
- Learn the basics about yarn, hooks, tension etc
- Learn how to hold the yarn and do a slip knot and foundation chain stitch.
- Students design, select yarn colour for the project
- Learn to do a treble crochet stitch - in the round for a Granny square or horizontally as a stripe
- Learn to use charts start chosen accessory in chosen yarn/design
- Learn how to achieve a good stitch tension
- Learn how to colour change or add a new ball of yarn and weave in ends.
- Learn to stitch squares together
- finishing up.
- adding tassels, fringe or pom poms
- blocking and aftercare
- how to plan for the next project